Sunday, April 28, 2013

Totem Poles to celebrate culture!

Hi Everyone!  Boy are the weeks flying by!  How many days are left for you? 
Don't ask me how many as I have no idea!  I actually don't start counting until I can count down with my fingers... this way I can maximize my learning time (hehe... how many of you just rolled your eyes ;)  Yeah, I'm one of those teachers!
 
I am SOOO excited to share with you a totally terrific totem pole project!  This is a project that my second graders are working on right now in correlation with our Social Studies unit (cultures and customs).
 
 
 
The children first had a homework assignment to discuss with mom/dad/family members what traditions, customs, uniqueness, and heritage they had as a part of their family. This created many interesting conversations at home!
 
They filled out this paper:
 
Click above to get a copy.

Then, the children took those ideas and transformed them into pictures to attach to their ToTeM PoLe! 
 
I had pictures of flags to represent their heritage and they created their own drawings.
 
 
 
We used the cardboard part of a paper towel roll as our base. They could trace a bird head and wings to glue onto the "totem." The pictures represented important things about themselves. Some people included: special meals with family, family trips, flags to represent where their ancestors are from, special collections, family traditions, etc.
 
 
I also had stickers and magazines our for the kids to use as their images too.
 
Once complete, they look so impressive!
 
 
Then the children chose the 4 most important items on their totem and wrote more information about those things on their "storyboard." The storyboard has a special place in the center where the totem pole is placed.
 
 
 
Click pic to get a copy!
 
Finally, the children were able to share their project with the class and we will be placing them on display in the hallway for all to see. It was a great way to culminate our culture unit in a UNIQUE way!
 
 
 
Also, during the unit I did THIS LESSON on cultures and languages.  It is a product I have in my TpT store.  It is a great way to have students experience what it would be like to travel to another country and they get to learn 9 new languages!
 
Make sure you head over to my FACEBOOK page and enter the quick giveaway that ends tonight! (Sunday night)
 
As always I LOVE your comments!!
Have a great week!


1 comment:

  1. There are the best probable ideas disclosed well and hopefully these will bring around every good thing that is required to be imagined with some positive aspects and values. java homework help

    ReplyDelete